Monday, June 29, 2015

What's up?


Hello! It was a good week here. I'll jump right into it as usual. Tuesday we had our Skype district meeting that went well. Our district leader, Elder Leblow, has been doing a good job of trying to make the meetings better even with the awful connection. After that we went home and had some good dinner. We met with the less-active (from the last week drama... or a few weeks ago... I forget) and he seems to be doing a little better as far as how he feels about the church. But as you'll see later, we were mistaken Tuesday evening! WEdnesday we had a bunch of branch work to do. We had to do a branch membership audit (which sounds scary but takes five minutes) and some other things with finances that we had to work out. We also had to search the russian version of Craig's list to find a crib for a member's baby. So we found a good one. That night we went and picked it up from a very nice family who wanted that thing and the two mormons who came to buy it out of the door ASAP. We got to the bottom of the staircase and I realized "Dang, we're going to have to carry this thing pretty far or call a taxi or something". So I'm all about saving money (and I had lazied out my morning excercises that day) so I was all game for carrying this thing accross Pskov. My companion was not. We carried it. This member has a really really hard situation right now that would take way longer than my alloted hour and a half to describe, so basically her husband (a member and a return missionary) is a bum right now and doesn't help her at all after she had her child. So we've been helping her out where she needs it, but we are also suspicious about some of what she says and if it's 100% true or not. So we asked her where we should take the crib, she told us the address, and we took it there. She won't give her address to anyone, so we were kinda surprised. We took it to her staircase and she said "ok, my mom will help me now. Thanks so much! See ya!". So we walked away and I thought, hmmm we should see if she really lives there so we can update her member record (being the clerk, I'm responsible for such things). So we did some good detective work and found out that she lives NOT where she told us, but in a different building! So we got the number of the building. I kinda want to call her out on it, but my companion wants to let things play out and see what happens. We'll see. Thursday we went to our investigator at his dacha. We didn't really have a "lesson", but we talked about life and had a good chat. He has a hard life but he does a great job of having a good time and loving life. He's a good example. He has strawberries growing there, oh my goodness they are so tasty! Friday we went to the Carters old apartment to clean it out and but the stuff into the mission driver's car (he drove down with the Coltons to close up the apartment). We also moved the safe with all the church documents back to the church. That night we AGAIN met with the member who we're welfaring. We bought some diapers for her child. Saturday morning we went again to the Carters to meet with the landlord and finish the deal. It went smoothly. We then cleaned the branch. That night was another meeting with the infamous less-active, and something happened during the week that made things worse again. He was smiling during our whole lesson (not a good smile, a "this is a joke" smile). He started calling me Andrew... what the heck? He must have found me online or something. Anyways, we walked a little with him and saw the sights of the town but for now it's not looking good with him. That night at about 10:25 I received an assignment to speak on prayer the next day. It was a good Sunday. The talk was good, I think. I had actually studied a lot this week about prayer and am trying to make my prayers more sincere and so I was glad to speak about it. We hunted down some less-actives and found one that lives in Rostov, well we actually found his dad. But we found out that he lives in Rostov. Success!

It was a good week. Things are going well here. There's not much else to say.

Elder Gwilliam



Russian Bingo


Pskov!


FHE with some sweet pizza 





No comments:

Post a Comment