Monday, March 16, 2015

So this was a good week.


We had a pretty crazy busy week. A good one to finish it off in this area I guess. Tuesday we had a staff meeting to discuss transfers and get everything finalized for the zone conferences/MLC that took place Wed. - Fri. It was a pretty boring day compared to what happened in the days following. On Wednesday we had a great zone conference with Elder Bennett of the Area Seventy. It was such a good meeting, probably one of the best zone conferences of my mission. He did such a good job teaching us different principles and really helping us as a mission. We talked mostly about talking to people. It was great. After a few hours of talking about it, we went out and actually did it. It was so fun to get out there with a fire inside of us. I talked to a Jehovah's Witness and found out that I still don't really know the Bible like I thought I did. Man, it's ok though. Next time. Then we came back, had lunch and talked about what we had done. There were so  many great experiences had by all the missionaries who really went out there and tried their best. It was great. The next day was the same, except we focused mostly on getting contacts from people that we teach or meet on the street. He helped us to realize that in missionary work PERSISTENCE is really key and can help you with every part of the work. That was cool to see how asking for new people to teach and helping people keep commitments works together. I could type out my notes, but it would take forever. The MLC on Friday was really the gamechanger. We talked about mission culture and things that satan has done in the last few months or years to make this mission weaker. We made a list of things. It was cool to learn that as we are really open and honest with ourselves and with others, the spirit comes and we all learn together. It works on lessons and zone conferences too. That was cool to see. Anyways, we saw that most of the things on this list were physical things and made a decision to gather everything that distracts us and put it in a bag and "sacrifice" it to President Childs until the end of our missions. While I was gathering my things (and by the way, my things were russian books that if I got really bored or upset I might read, nothing awful :)), I just felt so good. Just a little bit more consecration, and the things that I gave up didn't even come close to the joy and spirit that I've felt since then. It was so fun. On Saturday we did transfer calls in the morning, then left to Pskov right away. There were a few delays and some traffic, so we got there later than we expected but just in time for a fun activity that the branch put on about families. It was a really good evening. We met with a man who met missionaries when they first came to Russia and has been to Provo many times, Lived in San Fran for two years, speaks great english. He's not so interested as far as I can tell in the church part, but we'll have to work on him down there. Sunday we had a sweet little meeting to change the branch presidency. I was sustained as the financial clerk! Yay! So we had that, then we went to the senior couple's apartment for some dinner and came back to the city.

This week I really noticed in me and in another Elder changes that the mission had brought about. For me, the gospel has come alive since I've been here. Sure I always went to church. I (for the most part) did what I was supposed to, but until you really dive in and eat up everything that the Savior and His church has to offer, it won't mean that much to you. This other elder was my ZL when I came and he was smart, good missionary but he just didn't feel it and it was obvious. He was kinda putting in time. I got to spend some time with him and he has grown in the last few transfers thanks to his position in the mission! When he got assigned to this position, I was shocked. It was truly inspired and this Elder will go home and rock it! I'm excited to hear about the great things that he does. The Gospel is real! I encourage those of you who haven't jumped in to get in! And if you're there, stay! Do everything you can to stay. Don't start making small justifications or rationalizations, because by small and simple things (even bad ones), great things come to pass. Small mistakes lead to big ones. But, on the other hand, starting today with a small choice to be better will put you on the right path.

Have a good week!

Andrew


It's good!


Elder Butters

No comments:

Post a Comment